Thursday, June 30, 2005

Tropo a go go

Plenty of skip on the FM band tonight. Most obviously at the bottom end of the band; on 87.7 a station was strong enough to trigger the RDS:

87.7 Kiss FM - language unknown, sounds French - pop music from 80s onwards

At Meadowhall in Sheffield, approx 5pm, I heard numerous others - occasionally strong enough to come over distant UK stations. The highest in frequency foreign station I noted was on 106.8, strong enough to blank out Ridings FM.

When I got to Chesterfield at 7pm, the foreign tropo had largely gone. But on 105.6 I heard a station on 105.7 (not the first time I've only managed to receive a distant station on an adjacent frequency to its main carrier). The name sounded like Burger 105.7, mentioned Teddington at one point.

107.9 was a battle between Trax FM (Worksop) and a soul station.

That night, approx 10pm, a vicious thunderstorm came to Chesterfield. When I got to my car, I again scanned the band. No skip, but the soul music station was still there. Format sounded very like that of a black pirate. Still unidentified, possibly Nottingham's Freeze FM ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home